Grid sizing issues
Hey there,

So I'm having a few issues with S&T. I have switched to a new computer (now windows 10 not windows 7) followed the download correctly and then imported my layouts from my old desktop. I am still using the same 2 monitors that I used with my old computer and the same resolution settings.

I opened the layout and noticed that the tables were not filling the whole of their grid slot.

For example here is how my grid slots look (slot 2 -10 are the same size as these shown and fill the same pattern of each window touching the other).

(slot 1 is on my other monitor, the same set up as I had on the other PC)

https://gyazo.com/f778da73bf3e90bb591501c0081db37b

But as you can see when i move tables to the grid they are occupying a smaller space (tables not touching/gap between them)

https://gyazo.com/2f363b672efaf258b4069ede787e17dc

This may seems like only a small issue but it's really annoying. I've tried creating new layouts using the same sized tables and have also tried creating new layouts using different sized tables but the result is always the same, the tables don't fully fill the slots and that makes my hud positioning/sizing awkward. Completely stumped as to what I can do.
I'm going to have to write a help page for this.

The short answer: This is now how Win10 "tiles" windows.

The long answer:

In actuality, the windows in your screenshot that you posted are exactly adjacent and there is no gap. Well, there is no gap "programmatically" and "according to Windows" itself. But, we both SEE a gap. What gives?

In a completely retarded move, in Windows 10, the resizing borders on the left/right/bottom of each window are now INVISIBLE. These were the borders where previously you could hover your mouse over and drag to resize the window with your mouse. In Windows 10, those resizing borders STILL EXIST, but they are now INVISIBLE. You can verify they still exist by pointing your mouse to one of those 3 edges of the window. You will see that the mouse cursor doesn't change to the resizing cursor until AFTER the cursor has past the visible edge of the window. See this example: http://imgur.com/a/4eh4v

Also compare these:

Notepad in Win7
Notepad in Win10

You can further confirm that these gaps exist even without SaT. Simply open a few windows, any windows, and then, right click an empty space on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Then click "Show windows side-by-side". You will see that even when Windows itself tiles its windows, it also shows those gaps.

You are also 'tricked' by Windows in another way. If you click on a window, and press ALT+PrintScreen to take a screenshot, and then Paste into MSPaint, you will see a clean window with no borders. But this is a lie. Those borders still do exist.  Windows is simply excluding them from ALT+PrintScreen. Try using SaT's menu item for Help -> Diagnostic -> Take screenshot and then inspect the saved screenshot, and you will see borders.

Why did Windows 10 make the borders invisible? I have no idea. You can google "Windows 10 invisible borders" to see other applications facing the same issue. Even if you try to use some poker site's built-in "tile tables" feature, you will see the gaps. PokerStars has confirmed the issue on 2p2 here.

But SaT's Visualize Grid feature doesn't show the gaps! Why? Because those slots are placeholder windows that aren't resizable (if you try to resize them with your mouse, you cannot), so in that case, there truly are no borders to hide because there are no borders if a window is not resizeable. If I changed the style of those placeholder slot windows so that they ARE resizable (such as if I were to implement a way to have different sized grid slots), then in order for a window to be resizable, the placeholder slots would now have resizing borders, and you would see the same gaps. This is the inconsistency that you are seeing.

As for solutions, there are no good ones.

1. One solution is to simply change Windows so that those resizing borders are visible again. However, Windows offers no way to do this in the Control Panel. The only way is to do a minor hack to enable a hidden theme. The downside is that you lose some of the nicer visual features in Win 10. You can see this page for details:
http://winaero.com/blog/enable-the-hidde...indows-10/

2. Another solution is to simply create a little bit of overlap in your slots through SaT's Visualize Grid. Normally, when you release the drag of the Visualize Grid placeholder slots, SaT will 'snap' the slots to the edges of the other slots to make drag and drop easy. But if you want some minor overlap, we don't want to snap to the edge. You can override and cancel this snap by holding down the CTRL key while you RELEASE the drag.

If you do the 2nd solution above, which is creating overlaps, realize the dilemma here: Since each window/table will now be technically overlapped, you will not be able to resize them with your mouse, on whichever border that is overlapped. Now, for SaT, this won't be a problem, because while using SaT, all of your tables need to remain the same size, and SaT will resize them back if you ever mistakenly resized them anyway. But, this is why even Windows itself doesn't remove those gaps with its own built-in tiling feature as mentioned above. Because you would inherently be overlapping one of the borders on one of the windows, which not only prevents resizing but also has you mistakenly think your cursor would be over another window when in reality its still over the invisible border.

Some previous threads mentioning the issue:
http://www.stackandtile.com/forum/showth...p?tid=1373
http://www.stackandtile.com/forum/showth...p?tid=1137

I agree its a pain in the ass. Let me know what you think

(Also, whenever changing computers or performing upgrades etc, you should always run this test and verify that all of your sites are working properly. If you still have problems even after Removing and re-Including the sites, you may also need to do the Win10 fix that is linked. That is required in some cases, but not all.)

You will note in your screenshot that you posted, that the gaps on the left/right of the tables are larger than the gaps on the top/bottom. That is because the invisible resizing borders still exist on both the left and right sides of all windows. So you have TWO invisible borders, one belonging to each window, which create the gap. Conversely, for the top/bottom gaps, there is only one border, on the bottom of the window, that has an invisible border which contributes to the gap. The top of the window has the titlebar, and top part of the titlebar is where you resize the window, and you can verify when you move your mouse over and past the top edge.
Thank you for the detailed response I very much appreciate it. Am sorry that I didn't find the previous threads on the same topic when i searched, I just didn't go that far back when looking through the forum (should have used the search function).

I already have the Aero lite theme installed from previous playing but it causes other graphical changes that I'm not too fussed on so will try the overlap technique and see what happens. Thank you again for your reply!
You're welcome. Hopefully it made sense. No worries about the old threads, I know its hard to find stuff. Usually its easier to just fire up a new thread and ask away, and I don't mind that

Let me know how it works out

[-]
Quick Reply

Username::
Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)
Please select the number: 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10